Monday, February 23, 2009

An Analogy

My closet mirrors my life. First off, I share a closet with my daughter. It is sort of divided in half, but not really. We wear each other's clothes, and some of them hang in the middle because they are not totally mine, or totally hers. Secondly, there are no doors on the closet. The underwear and stuff like that go in drawers, but the majority are hanging there, visible to all.

Some pieces I chose carefully. Others were thoughtful gifts from those that know and love me. Some items were cast offs that someone else no longer wanted. Quite a few were selected in a hurry, out of necessity. Many were great deals found on the clearance rack or at a thrift store. Some I like, some I love, and some I would be happy to get rid of.

What would my closet look like if I thoughtfully and carefully chose every item? Well, those pants that have snaps on the legs that rattle when I walk wouldn't be there! They were obviously purchased in a hurry. If I had tried them on, I would not own them. They drive me nuts! The shoes that pinch (cast off), the dress that makes me feel claustrophobic (clearance rack), and skirt that fits funky (thrift store), would ALL be gone.

I would keep the crisp blue wrap around blouse and paisley skirt that I fell in love with the first time I saw it. I didn't need them, just wanted them, and loved them. I would keep the Calvin Klein jeans I bought at Costco. They fit perfectly and were a deal. The skirt I bought with a gift card from my step dad years ago is a keeper. So is the velvety red bathrobe that was a Christmas present from my Mom. Every time I wear it I think of her. It's sorta like my daily Mom hug. Corny I know, but true!

So, how is your life like your closet? Do you share it with someone you love? Are your doors off and open for the world to know what's inside? Are your private things safely tucked away out of public view?

Is your life full of gifts that make you smile? Do you still have the one you fell in love with the first time you laid your eyes upon? Have you found your perfect fit? Do you cherish your daily hugs?

Is it time to say good bye to the things that hurt, annoy, or otherwise, just don't work? It is time to be more deliberate about choices. Everything that is offered, even if free or really, really cheap, is not worthy of closet space.

1 comment:

  1. I hope there are a few things in that closet that remind you that I love you. My whole wardrobe is a testament that you love me. Everything is clean and neatly folded, your loving gifts of service don't go unnoticed by me. Thank you very much for all you do!

    Your very lucky husband.

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?