Sunday, January 22, 2012

Time is a Thief

Time is a thief.  It steals our babies. While we are busy mopping floors, and making a buck, time sneaks in and steals our tiny ones.  But time is also kind. With just as much stealth, our stolen babies are replaced with cherished friends.  From where I sit, those events happened in the blink of an eye.

We sat at the dinner table tonight, just the four of us, feasting on chicken enchiladas. (Ryker says the best place for Mexican food in Hawaii, is his Mama's kitchen.  That boy has a way with words.) It is probably the last time we will have a Sunday dinner like that in a while.  Ryker is leaving for Utah on Wednesday.  His ticket is one-way.  That doesn't mean he will never be back, just that the return is not yet defined.  He has a place to live, a job, and a pretty good plan for the next year or so.  His future awaits!

As we sat around the table tonight, we started talking about the old days.  It's funny how big changes like this make you think about the past.  Milestones in life cause our minds to look back at the path we took to get here.  When they were small they did funny things and even today they made us laugh.  Those are the unexpected joys of parenting.  The little gems you treasure for a life-time.

When your tiny boy (Ok, so he was never really tiny. He was tiny only in contrast to how he is today.) shows you his amazing new skill, and the most amazing thing about it is the words he uses to describe his accomplishment, it is unforgettable.  Words beyond his years, words perfectly strung together, words that convey more than their dictionary meaning.  Words.  His words have always been amazing, his super power of sorts. (What did he say about my cooking??)  His love of language began early, and continually astounded us.  When he was a newborn I remember staring into his face and wishing he could tell me what he was thinking.  I just knew he had interesting things to say. 

I will miss my interesting, funny boy popping in and brightening my day.  My favorite is when he plays guitar and sings.  There is a depth of soul in his music, that makes me happy to my core.  I love it when the house is full of his music.  He hasn't really lived at home for the last few years, but he has been in and out, except for that 4 month stint in China.  I am grateful he is only going to Utah this time, not China.  My worry level is way more manageable.  I'm not really worried at all.  After China, Utah is nothing :).

Ryker asked what we used to think Quincie would be when she grew up.  That was easy -  a Mommy and an Artist.  She has always had a tender, nurturing spirit.  Her super power is infinite patience with the small and helpless.  She is calm under pressure, never rattled by a crying child, or naughty puppy.  She is patient.  She is calm.  She is selfless and caring.  She loves with all her heart and is the kindest person I know.  If she calls you friend, you are one lucky person.

If Quincie wasn't mothering something or someone, she was doing an art project.  Not much has really changed over the years.  In her free time she is still either making something beautiful, or making someone happy.  The sculpture from her 1st college art class is sitting proudly in my living room.  It's beautiful, and my daughter is amazing.

I love my two wonderful, unique, amazing, talented, awesome kids.  They are very different, but perfectly fit together as brother and sister, son and daughter, in our family.  I wouldn't wish for anything different.  I can't wait to see what their futures hold.  I know it's going to be wonderful!

1 comment:

Your thoughts?