Tuesday, January 31, 2012

My Desk is a Wreck

I am self-employed, and my office is in my home.  This arrangement suits me.  I am an independent creature, with a strong aversion to office politics.  I'm also not a big fan of time clocks, cubicles or dress codes.

Over the years my home office has been a corner of my bedroom, the dining room table, even occasionally it's own dedicated actual room.  Right now it is in a corner of the living room.  I could move it back to Ryker's room, now that he is gone again, but I am not sure I want to.  The living room has better amenities - A/C, TV, sunlight, and PEOPLE!

Right now my desk is a wreck.  Too much stuff, in too little space.  Way too many things "out" that should be "in" or better yet - "gone".  While the corner desk design is efficient, I am kind of sick of having my back to the room.  It feels like I am being punished all day, sitting in the corner.  About 15 degrees to my right is a HUGE window (It's dark, so the blinds are closed in this photo.), so it's not without any view.  A quick 180 and I'm looking at the TV.


I think what is bugging me the most is the half dead desktop computer lurking in the background, taking up desktop space as well as foot room. It still technically "works" but, not well.  The monitor colors everything excessively pink, and then sometimes straight black.  The CPU is LOUD - sounds like a jet engine or something, and it is super s l o o o o o w.  That hunk of metal really just has to go.  It's time has come. 

I have been looking at design ideas.  My ideal home office would be very white (I am a big fan of white space) with bright color accents - something like this .....
Source: bhg.com via Wendy on Pinterest

or this (Without so much decoration.  What are those brass things??)....


What I'm looking for is simple - clean and neat.  I want lots of organizer bins, baskets, and shelves.  The organization tools I currently use are - LAME.  So lame that I don't really use them.  I haven't added anything new to that stack of plastic drawers in at least a year.  Unless you count replacing the printer cartridges as I use them.  I have taken out a row of staples from the box, once or twice.  Other than that - the contents of those drawers hasn't changed in well over a year.  The open bottom drawer - It's full of unused electronic devices, old cell phone chargers, cords, cables and the like - pointless ... Then there is that plastic "in box" thingy that hangs on a wall.  It is jammed with papers and sitting on the bottom shelf of my desk.  It has stuff in there from a couple years ago, and some recent receipts.  I don't even want to talk about the plastic shopping bag that contains my business records for the last 2, or is it 3, years.  Why is it sitting out there for ready access?  I have NO IDEA!

For Christmas my wonderful husband bought be a FANTASTIC new desk chair!  I love this thing!  It is from the Big and Tall collection.  I am neither big, nor tall, but it is one luxurious chair!  It is so comfy, my back doesn't hurt after long hours of sitting, and it leans back when I'm ready to relax.  Best Christmas Gift Ever!

Now I need a desk to match - Not necessarily from a design standpoint, but definitely in function.  The first step is to de-clutter, get rid of that half-dead Dell, file the paperwork, clean out the drawers, blah, blah, boring, boring, blahbity, blah blah...  Maybe by then I will decide just how I want to rearrange my little corner of the world.  I spend a LOT of time here, I really should make it more loveable.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts?