Sunday, March 15, 2009

Antique Frosting Recipes

My Grandma Teusink baked and cooked lots of yummy things. I have many fond memories of Grandma and food. I LOVE her canned tomato sauce/juice! Especially made into goulash. She grew those tomatoes, canned them, and than cooked them up with ground beef and noodles. I am afraid that I will never taste that again.

In an effort to rescue these memories and share them with future generations I have asked my Mom to scan all the recipes she has from Grandma. A few weeks ago a large envelope arrived with photo copies of many of these recipes. I love it that they are in Grandma's hand writing. I want to create a something with color scans of them so they are preserved in a digital format.

Today Quincie made a chocolate cake. She frosted it with Grandma's White Frosting. It tastes just like I remember - like fluffy marshmallow! It is a great frosting, and so easy. Grandma gives credit to Yvonne Domogalski for this recipe. I have transcribed the recipe exactly as it is on the hand written card.

White Frosting
1 unbeaten egg white
3/4 cup white sugar
1/4 tsp. cream of tarter
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 cup boiling hot water

Mix well with electric mixer til stiff.
Makes a big batch.
(tastes like 7 minute frosting)

A couple weeks ago I made a yellow cake and frosted it with Grandma's chocolate frosting. It was so great! It made me feel like I was a kid again, sitting in Grandma's kitchen, licking a beater.

One Minute Frosting
1 cup white sugar
1 stick oleo
1/4 cup milk
1 tsp. vanilla
2 Tablesp. cocoa

Put all ingredients together in pan, bring to boil. (stirring constantly). Boil over med. heat for one minute. Remove from heat - cool to lukewarm. Beat until stiff enough to spread.

I didn't have any "oleo" on hand, so I used real butter. It tasted great, but I think the texture would have been more like Grandma's if I had used oleo. The taste is very similar to fudge. Just awesome!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy!! I will need to try those receipes!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!! I am always looking for good frosting recipes. Some turn out, and others...well lets just say I'm going to try your grandma's!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?