Saturday, December 5, 2009

Winter in Paradise

This is our fifth winter in paradise and my body is fully acclimated. At 10pm it is 70 degrees and I am cold. Crazy, but true. Here I sit in the warmest room in the house in long pj's, socks and two blankets. My arms are exposed while writing this and I am thinking seriously of putting on the jacket that is next to me.

Five years ago I remember seeing people wearing jackets while waiting to catch an early morning bus. I thought they were nuts! Coming from Utah, I could only feel warm and happy when it was 70 degrees at 6am in December.

Now, I am one of those jacket wearers. I was so 'cold' the other night I turned on the heater in my car. I totally understand how illogical it is to feel cold at 70 degrees, but I do feel cold. Maybe
my blood has thinned?

It is nice to feel a difference in the seasons, however subtle they may be. The first 4 years feel like one very long,monotonous summer. Noticing the change helps me feel like summer might be finally ending and Fall is in the air. I am doubtful that it will ever really feel like Christmas to me without at least a little snow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts?