Saturday, December 26, 2009

Do Zebra and Camo Match? (or the Worst Headache on Record)

Today I ended up at the mall, yes the mall on the day after Christmas, in camo shorts and zebra print sandals. My shirt was a mild navy blue, but it was dirty. I think it was either toothpaste or oatmeal, not really sure which. Of course, being so dressed, I ran into friends. They must be good friends because they actually walked next to me, rather than pretending not to know the weirdo with messy hair in the camo shorts. I am pretty sure I was last at the mall about 6 months ago. I was at the movies. I'm not a mall rat by nature.

One of my son's Christmas gifts was 2 pair of pants - yet to be purchased. I used to buy him clothes and no matter what I bought, he wore. No complaints, no comments, he was just glad not to be naked. He is 18 now and that method no longer works. For one thing, I have no idea what size he wears. For another, he now has a sense of fashion, and I have no idea what is cool. Obviously I have slipped in my own fashion sense (ie. today's outfit). The quest for those 2 pair of jeans is why we were at the mall.

How I came to be there so poorly dressed is another story. Yesterday I had the worst headache of the decade. Nothing like going out with a bang. Big BANG BANG BANG in my skull. I don't really know what brought it on, maybe all the sugar I ate, maybe the stress, I don't know, but it was hell. Not really any other way to say it. Today my head feels bruised and my thinking is fuzzy. My motor skills are a little impaired as well. I took no drugs, so at least I'm not hung over from the side effects. Just wiped out from the pain.

I got up this morning feeling a bit battered, like I had played football without a helmet and had a mild concussion, or something. I showered and got dressed, with no intention of leaving the house. After a little work and a large Jamba Juice, I was bored and ready to do something. Ryker and I decided to go return the couple of gifts that needed returned. I grabbed my closest comfy slippers (flip flops) and without so much as a glance in the mirror we were off.

After a successful return and purchase mission to Best Buy, which was the most crowded store of the day, we were driving home. As we passed the turn to the mall I commented, "I have no interest of going in there today", quickly followed by, "unless you want to go look for some pants". Of course, we went and bought the pants.

I'm not sure what the lesson or deep thought is of this story. I have a great kid who isn't embarrassed by me? You can wear crazy stuff now and no one cares? I really should hang a mirror by the door? Headaches can impair your fashion sense? When you start the day with no intention of leaving the house, you should stick to it? Good friends love you know matter what you look like? or maybe, Zebra and Camo actually do match.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts?