Sunday, September 20, 2009

It's Been a Week

My boy is gone. He is grown and off to college. Life has changed, and I am adjusting. I was excited for him, and sad for me when I drove him up to Laie and moved him into his dorm last Saturday. It has been a dynamic week. I'm not sad anymore. I miss him, would like to see his happy face sitting in the green chair watching King of the Hill, but I'm not sad. I am really happy for him, and grateful.

Our fridge is full of left overs that will never be eaten - unless I give them to the dogs. I am not sure how to adjust all the standard family recipes to be for 1 less person. How do you make tacos for 3? Ground beef doesn't come in 3/4 pound packages, and what am I going to do with 1/4 of a can of black beans? I have WAY too much chili in a zip lock that I am pretty sure will go straight to the trash in a few days.

Chester and Charlie look disappointed when they push their way in his room and find it empty. Chester vented his feelings by peeing in there the other day. I wonder what that meant exactly - "Dang it Ryker, you jerk, where are you?" or "Now that you are gone, I claim this space for myself!" Poor puppy doesn't understand.

Today in church when they released the priesthood to sit with their families, I started to slide over and make room. So much of parenting is automatic like that. If I should wake up in the middle of the night, my routine is to check on everyone, kids, dogs, and make sure all are as they should be. Now I do a mental check when I come to his door - Laie - check.

Ryker is exactly where he needs to be, doing exactly what he should. He is happy, and excited, and I love that. I am so grateful that he has this opportunity to be there this year. It is a good place. Spending some time on campus this week was great. It is a good school, with good people. The classes are small and the Spirit is strong. What a great environment for learning and preparing for his mission.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts?