Thursday, November 20, 2008

Antique Recipe

This is a recipe I remember my grandmother making. It is more like a cobbler, but I like the sound of baked pudding. I had forgotten that's what Grandma had called it. I found frozen rhubarb at the store. It is the first I have seen in 4 years. With the first bite I was 8 years old and sitting in my Grandma's kitchen. Yummy!
Baked Rhubarb Pudding

3 cups Rhubarb (or 1/2 strawberries)
2 cups sugar
1 stick of butter
3 eggs
1 tablespoon of water
1 cup of flour
1 tsp baking powder


Put 3 cups rhubarb, fresh or canned in a greased pan and sprinkle with 1 cup sugar. dot 1 tablespoon of butter over the top. If you use frozen, thaw first & drain liquid.

Beat 3 eggs, add 1 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon of water or more if necessary to prevent the dough from becoming to firm. 1 cup flour mixed with 1 tsp.baking powder.

Pour over the rhubarb and bake 40 - 45 min @ 350 degrees
Serve with cream (I liked ice cream or cool whip)
Also, can use 1 1/2 cups Strawberries and 1 1/2 cups rhubarb

If you are curious, here is more information about rhubarb. Growing up in South Dakota and Nebraska it grew plentifully in our yard. I remember having a stalk in one hand, and a cup of sugar in the other for dipping. A stalk with the large leaf still attached makes a great umbrella for a small head in a summer rain storm.

1 comment:

  1. Yep! the picture looks just like the ruhbarb cobbler/baked pudding I used to make too! It warms my heart that you, Ryker & Quincie love it as much as I do! and that you are making it for them, a family tradition. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?