Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Workspace

I have worked from home for years. Sometimes my desk has been in a corner of my bedroom, and sometimes I have had an actual office with a door. Since I switched from a PC to a laptop a few years ago my "office" has been where ever I can sit with my computer - the kitchen table, my bed or the floor of an airport - anywhere with an outlet nearby.

For the last year the kitchen table has been my primary office. I have been happy to be home, and not wasting hours of my life sitting in traffic. I love being in the heart of our home where I can multi-task and interact with my family. My days go something like this - 5:30am alarm goes off, make sure both kids are up, fire up the laptop and check email while I start a load of laundry. 6:00am, drive them to seminary, come home, move laundry around, check my "to do" list for the day, find something to eat, and start a load of dishes...

I am able to bounce back and forth between business tasks and home tasks all day long. It is precisely the life I choose. The following is not a complaint, or whining, just a simple fact.

Working at the kitchen table comes with certain drawbacks, and even a few risks. Either I pack it all up multiple times a day or my laptop and work papers are present during meal time. Neither is great. I don't like to put away a project until it is complete. I like to end each day with a clean desk, which means, completed work. While not always possible, it is what my brain prefers. So, my laptop and stacks of papers have joined us for many a meal.

Definitely not relaxing to have work staring me in the face while I ate. Definitely not sending the message to my family that I am focused on them with my work staring them in the face during family time. Certainly not a safe place for papers and electronics.

A few weeks ago as my computer narrowly escaped a spilled drink, I stated working on a plan to carve out some dedicated workspace. I had been having a hard time focusing on my work and thought maybe it was time for a real desk again.

After eliminating some clutter, and annoying Ryker and Carl with excessive furniture rearranging, I freed up a few square feet of space for a desk. It needed to be just the right desk. I didn't want my back to the door, or to the window. I like looking out the window while I work. Amazingly I found exactly what I wanted on Craigslist - for $25!!.

I asked the kids what they thought of how I had rearranged the house. They both said it feels more homey. Interesting how the addition of a work desk to the corner of the dining area has made our house feel more homey to them. I think it is because the family space is no longer invaded by my work. The kitchen table is now for eating, and doing other family things. My office supplies and other work items are put away, and it feels better. I like it.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like the perfect solution. I really like the desk, what a steal!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So resourceful, you are! Great desk! I need a good place for mine too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful Wendy does it again! You are so creative and sensible!Great desk, let's see a picture now, with a couple of days work on it! Or better yet, a picture of you working at your new desk!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?