Sunday, September 21, 2008

Just Plain Odd

It's Sunday evening, dinner is done, kids are in bed, and here I sit in the cool, quiet solitude of my dinning room.  I can hear the waves of the ocean and smell the coming rain.  There is nothing much going on at the moment, and that is nice.  It is very, very unusual.  I am not quite sure what to do with myself.  I am just tired enough that if I were to read I am sure I would be asleep in about 5 minutes.  I could do as my mother would, and putter around the house tidying things up.  I do have a basket of clothes left to fold, but it's nothing urgent.

Do you have any idea how odd that is?  That I don't have anything that I perceive as urgent to do?  I am sure that there are moments all the time without any urgent demands on my time, but I have my own agenda, and I ALWAYS perceive something or another is urgent.  

I have gone through my nightly ritual of making my "to do" list for the next day.  Plenty of junk to do tomorrow.  Some might even be urgent.  The way my brain works, it is best to make my lists at night.  Once I get it all out on paper, or in my computer, I can let it go and rest.  If it is all still bouncing around in my head it is difficult for me to relax.

Do you ever notice that sometimes your shoulders are tense and elevated, like they are protecting your ears? A long time ago someone told me to put my shoulders down and relax.    I think it was a chiropractor.  I must tell myself that 20 times a day.  It's a good first step to relaxing the rest of your body.  They are down where they are supposed to be right now without any self reminder.  Just plain odd.


3 comments:

  1. What a nice evening. So what did you end up doing? It is very odd that you didn't have anything urgent and very relaxing. Have fun with your busy day today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice evening. So what did you end up doing? It is very odd that you didn't have anything urgent and very relaxing. Have fun with your busy day today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grab it! Savor it! Remember it when you are running around and worried about the "urgent" stuff. Good tip for the shoulders. I will remember that! Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?