Sunday, July 20, 2008

Hidden City

On stressful days I dream of escaping to a hidden city in the mountains of Colorado, as in Atlas Shrugged. The entry requirements would be rigid. The results would be magical. I am not sure if it is possible in today's modern world. Certainly not in the lower 48. Maybe in Alaska. Modern technological wonders such as GPS and satellites make it rather impossible to hide one home, not to mention an entire city. Someone smarter than me, like the brainiacs at Google, might be able to find a way. If they do, I hope I eventually get the invite to join them.

While I wait, I have an idea. I have witnessed this phenomenon and marveled at those that have chosen it. It's radically simple.

I am talking about those brave souls that shrug, and let the world roll off their shoulders. They have tired of carrying the heavy load and have opted out. They have walked into the AT&T store, and said, "I would like to purchase an iPhone, the new one please. Yes, it will be a new account. Yes, a new number. No, I do NOT wish to port my existing number. No, I don't think I will be needed the 10,000 minutes/month plan. I would like the unlimited data package."

They get a new number. Fresh, clean, unsoiled. The old number gets passed on to an assistant, or left in a drawer to ring until the battery is dead. The voice mails left on this old number may or may not be listened to. The missed calls may or may not be returned. Text messages will not be read, at least not for a long time. Emails going to this phone will fill the inbox to capacity and then begin to bounce.

The new number is given only to those of the inner circle. Only to those you would invite to live with you in the hidden city in the mountains. Only to the producers, only those that you WANT to talk to. Only those that make your load lighter. You know the ones, the people that when you see their number on caller ID you smile, and quickly hang up to take their call. The Dagnys, Fransiscos, Hanks, and John Galts of your world. The rest go to cell phone oblivion. They no longer consume your day, fill your inbox, or drive you mad. The unproductive are cut from your life.

It is starting to happen to my friends. Some in my inner circle have already "disappeared". If you are next, I will be waiting for a call from an unknown number. If I am next, that unknown caller might just be me. I never thought I would seek their daring path. I imagined myself fighting until the bitter end, answering every call, replying to every email. Now, I am not so sure. One more ad for the iphone and I might just go.

If you read my blog, you are on my list of keepers. When I shrug I won't let you fall. I am counting on you to help me hold it all together.
Atlas Shrugged

2 comments:

  1. The first step to admittance is to read the book! Did you download it from my Audible yet?

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?