Thursday, July 17, 2008

Vampire Love Stories

Stephenie Meyer, and her extremely popular novels are everywhere. The first one has been made into a movie that is due out soon. She is a young, LDS author that has taken the popular culture by storm. Every magazine I read has had an article about her in the last few months. I don't read your typical ladies' magazines either. I am talking about publications like Time and the Costco magazine. I am surprised how good Costco's magazine is. It is mostly book and new tech gadget reviews - 2 of my favorite things! Anyway, I digress ...

Nearly all of my girl friends have read the entire series of books by Stephenie Meyer that starts with "Twilight". They all love them, well, they all love Edward ... The only person who has read them and had a less than stellar recommendation for me is my 16 year old son. He said they were "girlie". But he did read all of them.

About a year ago I downloaded the first one, "Twilight", to my mp3 player, but never listened. A week ago I caved to the mounting peer pressure and pressed play.

Twilight (Twilight Series, Book 1) New Moon (Twilight Series, Book 2) Eclipse (Twilight Series, Book 3)

I feel a bit like the guy in "Green Eggs and Ham". I have been protesting and saying, "I do not like dumb romance books. I do not like the way it looks. I will not read them in the rain. I would not could not on a train." "I do not like them Sam I Am. "

But ....

I do.

I like them quite a lot.

For the last 4 or 5 days I have listened to nothing but these crazy, mushy, vampire love stories. It has been pure, self-indulgent pleasure.

Don't worry, none of my top 10 favorite books are in any danger of being replaced. I haven't totally lost my mind. I guess I am a sucker for a love story after all.

4 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you mean. The girls were reading them like crazy. I thought vampires - whatever. But one night I was bored so I picked up the first book. Dang I was hooked. I read all three books within three weeks. I even had to go by the third book. Did you know that the 4th book will be out around the first of August? Happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmmm Vampires, it's good to know you still have your girlish imagination. I love your writing, you have a way of putting thoughts into very interesting reading! Pocahantas has a romantic side too. I do like it, Sam I am! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Next you need to download "The Host". It is an interesting book. Stephenie Meyer's did a good job with it too. I really liked "Neverwhere" by the way. I also love reading your blog. It is so entertaining and I love the way your mind works!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am almost done with "Eclipse". All the back stories are annoying me. I want to find out who the mysterious trouble making vampire is and see if Bella finally gets bitten. My guess is no biting for Bella, yet. She is going to make us wait for the 4th book and read 1,000 more pages before we get that answer.

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?