Sunday, June 6, 2010

Twitter Experiment

About a year ago I signed up for Twitter.  I set up two accounts, one with my real name and one with a fake name.  With my real name I invited friends and family, and started playing the Tweet game.

For the fake name I only added one friend, myself.  I did not send out any invitations, or post any tweets.  I just set it up and forgot about it.  Sort of like that infomercial slogan, "Set it and Forget it".

As of tonight, my actual Twitter account, @WendyMinks, if any of you want to add me, has 16 followers and I am following 14 people.  I haven't posted a tweet in months, and incoming tweets have been mostly advertisements.  I haven't really given Twitter my all, and my numbers show. I quickly tired of Twitter.  It seems sort of redundant and boring.  I mean, with facebook, blogging, email, and texting, what's the use of Twitter?  Maybe I'm just too old to get it.
My "fake" Twitter account is doing nearly as well, with absolutely no effort on my part.  That account, @gadgettesting, has 13 followers.  One of those followers is me.  One of them is a friend that is also following my other account, and the 11 others are strangers.  I have no photo posted, no profile data listed, not even my gender.  There is no way, those 11 followers are anything other than random Twitter users, looking for customers, clients, or suckers.  I don't really think they are looking for a new friend.  Maybe I'm wrong.  Maybe I'm being a pessimist and not giving these people the benefit of the doubt.  I set the privacy settings on both accounts exactly the same, so why haven't these 11 strangers, or any others, arbitrarily bumped into me in cyber space and started following my tweets?

I guess I really don't get Twitter.  Can anyone explain?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts?