Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Last Minute Miracle


Tay & Ryker in front of the St. George Temple

Ryker moved to Utah in January 2012.  It's hard to be away from your baby boy for such a long stretch, especially when another long stretch is looming.  He and Taylor have been planning this trip to China since before they got married, I think since they first met.  They left for China on Saturday.  (You can visit their blog Ryker and Tay, to read all about their adventure.)  For the last month or so I am have been checking flight prices to go visit them before they left.  Every time I looked, they were at least $700 round trip.  I had given up hope of seeing them before they left for their year in China.

By nothing short of a miracle, a flight for $300 round trip became available last Monday.  There was one seat left, the price was right, so I booked it, and left the next day.  Due to time zones, and over night flights across the Pacific, I spent Wednesday through Friday with the kids, and flew home on Saturday, the day they left for China.

I flew into Las Vegas and we hung out at our friend Angela's house in St. George, UT.  It was a great visit!  I really enjoyed being in the same space with my son and his awesome wife.  It is a great feeling to see your grown up child so happy and living his dreams.  What a blessing it was to spend that time with them.

We did a few tourist"y" things, but mostly just ate great food and hung out.  There just wasn't enough time for me to eat at all the places I wanted to.  Next trip I have to hit up Sonic, Steak and Shake, Pizza Factory and Cafe Rio for sure!



Lunch at the Happy Wives restaurant in Colorado City


 


 The landscape of St. George is so different from Hawaii.  I was freezing most of the time, but mesmerized by the beauty. We did a very tiny bit of hiking on the red rocks around St. George.  As long as I was in the sun, I could stop shivering.  I think I must be an island girl for life now.  I can't handle the cold, dry air.
Desert Flowers


Yes, moss on a rock - Cool isn't it?

2 comments:

  1. The world is a beautiful place, isn't it? I miss Hawaiian beauty but I think there's beauty to be found everywhere. Just *different* kinds of beauty :)

    I'm so happy that you got to spend a little time with Ryker and Taylor before they left! What a sweet and tender mercy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly Ang! It was nothing but sweetness to be in the same space with them.

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?