Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Some Kinda Funk

Do you remember all those posts about yoga, and the Y?  I sounded so enthusiastic about the whole deal, didn't I?  So why the heck haven't I been to yoga in two weeks, or the Y in like 8?? I have less than zero motivation to exercise right now.  The only thing I have been doing is walking the dogs, and then only when I have to.  Chester begs to go, and is about as persistent as a 4 year old child who wants candy at the grocery store.  It's really hard to ignore him when he is determined to go for a walk.  He just won't shut up.  He does this weird growl, cry talking kind of thing.  It sounds like a kid talking back, giving sass, under their breath.  Thank goodness for that crazy back talking dog, or I might never get out of this chair. 

I know if I just forced myself to get up and go I would feel better.  The reward would be almost immediate.  But not quite instant enough to compete with my nice comfy bed.  A few weeks ago I at least had the legitimate excuse of being too busy to fit it in my schedule.  Early morning inspection appointments really did get in the way there for a while.  That is where this started.  But now, this week, the only excuse is that I just don't feel like it.  I've been toying with the idea that maybe I have a bug or something, making me more tired than usual.  I'm looking for something to pin it on, other than I'm just a lazy slug.  I think something must be broken.  Can I really be this lazy, just by choice?

While walking the dogs tonight I was struck with a fleeting moment of motivation.  I was all set to publicly state my commitment to daily exercise.  I will get up and go whether I fell like it or not!  I WAS going to say that.  But, now, well, I'm not so sure.  I'm not feelin' it like I was a couple hours ago.

I do feel some sort of a second wind, and I am awake writing this rather than passed out on my high thread count sheets like I normally am at this hour.  I guess it's probably from the exercise.  See, I know I really should get up and do SOMETHING first thing in the morning, rather than just sleep in until I am needed.  I could get a lot done with that post exercise boost of energy.

That's an interesting thought.  How often do we, or I, do nothing until we are required to.  Do we sleep until the alarm goes off?  Do we set the alarm to allow for just enough time to get ready before we have to leave?  Do we sit and wait until duty calls us from our couch or bed?  I don't think I really want to live my life like that.  It doesn't sound much like living.  Doing only what is required, and not until it is required.  Some lazy human variation on "conservation of energy".

It really is pretty pathetic to sit or sleep, or otherwise wait around, for some obligation to force you into action, rather than getting up, and moving of your own free will. " What do you do with your free will?  I do nothing.  I don't have to so I just do nothing. "  Pathetic.  I gotta get up and move.

For tonight, I'm just going to get up out of this office chair, and move up the stairs to bed.  Maybe in the morning I'll move on to something interesting, or productive.  Maybe, if I feel like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts?