Monday, July 11, 2011

Frustration

Ok, what's the deal with the all new Blogger?  It might look the same to you, but on the back end, things are definitely different.  So far, it seems pretty easy to figure out.  Analytics and Reader are integrated into my dashboard - cool!  I love Google.  Speaking of which, have you started using Google+?  If you need an invite, just let me know and I will shoot one out to you.


Anyway .... I get so frustrated with myself sometimes.  Tonight at yoga was no exception.  I really hate it when I can/t get my bones and muscles to do what my brain envisions.  In my mind I am flexible and strong.  In reality, not so much.  My hamstrings are strung so tight they feel like they could snap.  My hips are tight, my shoulders are tight, my lower back is weak, my upper body is week, my thighs are jiggly and my abs are squishy.  This is not the body I have in my mental world, and it is frustrating.

When I first started yoga at the YMCA, all I wanted to do was touch my toes.  I had no idea.  Recently I started going to Yoga4Ewa.  It's the real deal, no false sense of competency in this place. I really, really love it.  I learn so much at every class.  The first thing I learned was how little I know. 

Tonight we were working on headstands.  Specifically, using your abs to lift up into a headstand, not your legs.  I did it, sort of, once - for a second or two - maybe.  I know just what to do, my muscles just don't obey.  I want to be strong.  I want to be flexible.  To get there I must be diligent, and I must be patient. Hence, the frustration.

Tonight I pushed myself to work very hard.  Great big drops of sweat rolled off my face and on to the mat.  Yoga, with Tasha, is the only time that has ever happened to me.  I don't sweat like that, ever - not running, not dancing, not even sitting in the hot sun at the beach.  All that sweating has to mean progress is happening somewhere.

I know this for sure - yoga helps me manage the stress of ordinary life. When I am upside down, trying to keep my elbows in, shoulders down, head looking back, hips back, toes up, and legs straight, there is no room left in my brain for anything else, except maybe breathing - if I am lucky. There just isn't space for one more thought, and that is lovely.