Thursday, January 21, 2010

Oh No, Not Another One!

Remember Tubley?   The crazy social website that suckered me in a few months ago?  Well, here comes another one, only this time I'm not so gullible.

FanIQ.com

This one has a sports bent to it, rather than dating, but it's the same dealio as Tubley. This email showed up in my inbox -
 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                FanIQ              
Etta Matau has sent you a private message.
Click to read message
                                                                 Click to read private message
Please read it or Etta will think you ignored this :(
This message has been forwarded at the request of ttmatautia@aol.com.To block all emails from FanIQ, please click here.FanIQ is located at 604 mission St, Suite 600, San Francisco, CA 94105, USA.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I do know Etta, but I am 100% sure that she did not send me a private message via FanIQ.  She is a real estate agent I have worked with a few times, but we have had no contact the last year or so.  She is a mature woman, I'd guess mid 50's, and I would not peg her as a HUGE sports fan.  I would guess that she is a bit internet naive.   She probably received an email like this from one of her sons, and thought she should go take a look.  Notice the guilt provoking sentence there at the bottom , "Please read it or Etta will think you ignored this :(".  No mother would want her son to feel ignored, and the frowny face just seals the emotional sale.

I didn't take the bait this time.  Tubley taught me a thing or two ...  Instead, I did a little research, so I could pass the warning along to you.  FanIQ.com seems to be structured almost identically to Tubley.  I would not be surprised if they have the same people running the show.  Don't click on anything, except "Delete", and maybe even "shift - delete" would be a good idea.

UPDATE:

FANIQ continues with the emotional ploys.  Today I received this email:

Last Chance! Your private message from Etta expires tonight

Your private message from Etta will expire tonight at midnight.
Please read it or Etta will think you ignored this :(

 Please ....  I'm not clicking that gold envelope ... ever ...

2/4/2010 UPDATE - I received this email today.  They never quit.

Etta Matau wants to follow your favorite teams with you
Do You Know Etta? Yes or No
About FanIQ:
FanIQ is the social utility that connects fans with their friends and
favorite teams through a personalized sports dashboard and real-time alerts.
This message has been forwarded at the request of ttmatautia@aol.com.To block all emails from FanIQ, please click here.FanIQ is located at 604 mission St, Suite 600, San Francisco, CA 94105, USA.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts?