Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Merry Christmas


I have been pondering how to get in the Christmas spirit. It is just odd here in Hawaii where it is 80 degrees most of the time. A winter storm, like we had this weekend, means rain and wind. The leaves are still green, even though lots of them are now on the ground. The physical conditioning of Christmas past is not working for me.

It takes enormous imaginative effort to recall the sharp, exhilaration of taking a deep breath of cold, crisp December air, and feeling my nose try to retreat. Or the way fresh fallen snow holds your weight for the briefest moment before crunching under foot. The scent of a real, fresh Christmas tree eludes me. I have been wandering around stores sniffing pine scented candles. If I found one that was right, I would buy a cart full. With Christmas music playing over the store sound system, eyes closed, and a pine candle at my nose, I can almost, if the store is well air conditioned, believe it is the week before Christmas.

Tonight Ryker and Quincie went caroling with the youth from church. I snapped this photo of them on the way out the door. Christmas carols and my kids - that is my ticket to feeling the Christmas spirit. Tonight my heart is full of the love that is Christmas. Merry Christmas!

2 comments:

  1. Happy holidays, Wendy,

    I got a message that you had listened to my CD's. Thank you so much and it's great to know that people in Hawaii have access to my CD's. I liked your blog and am motivated to do my own. It's wonderful to see what other people are up to in the holiday season. Thanks for sharing,

    Christiane Turner
    christiane@quantumnlp.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are so fun in their hats! Q is just so sweet! R is just plain handsome!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?