Sunday, December 21, 2008

It's Been a Year

It has been a year since I have had any caffeine. It has been a year of fewer headaches, less drugs, and more sleep. Instead of drinking a Coke, I have taken a nap, or just went to bed. An ice cold Coke is yummy, but nothing beats a nap!

Somewhere around the age of 12 I stared getting wicked headaches. Some doctors have called them migraines. Whatever they are, they are horrid. The pressure in my head makes me think crazy thoughts, like if I were to shove a red hot poker in my temple it would feel better. The first time I had one of these mind crushers I thought I had been poisoned, and was surely about to die. I was 12, and probably read too many novels. My doctor gave me some pain pills and when I awoke 2 days later on my Grandmother's couch, she assured me that I was not the victim of some assassin, just a migraine and a crazy imagination.

Since then I have had them off and on, to greater and lesser intensities. There doesn't seem to be any clear, direct triggers, although, stress is always an element. For some reason, I have never had one while pregnant, so I think hormones must play some role. The pain killers that work best for me have a heavy dose of caffeine in them. I started to see that I was getting rebound headaches after taking them, and I suspected the caffeine. The only think worse than a migraine on Sunday, is a rebound headache for the rest of the week. I had to stop the cycle.

I asked my doctor for a prescription without caffeine, and he wanted to put me on something that I had to take every day. Sorry, unless my life depends on it, I am not taking a pill every day. Who knows what the happy fun ball side effect would be from that. Not interested.

So, a year ago this week, I decided to cut out all caffeine in an attempt to prevent my head from hurting so often. I didn't make any grand announcements, just decided to stop. My headaches are not cured, but they are much less frequent. I still get them every couple of months, but if I just suffer through, and don't take my prescription, I avoid the rebound headaches. So, one day of pain, rather than a week of it. I would call that a success.

I have heard that it takes 21 days to break, or create a new habit. I was hoping that after 21 days I would not want it anymore. That isn't the case with me. Every time my head hurts I know that if I just drank a Coke it would feel better. I still want one when I eat Mexican food. I still want one with my popcorn at the movies. I guess I might always.

3 comments:

  1. Congrats!! I have thought of doing that exact thing! You have inspired me...again!!! My first migraine, I was about 10 and thought I was going to go blind! Good job! I may do it and then I will need you to help me thru the rough spots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm there for ya! You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The last few days my head has been POUNDING!! Truly testing my resolve! Massaging my head and neck, drinking lots of water, and staying very, very quiet ....

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?