Thursday, September 1, 2011

Taking My Own Advice

Blogger has made some pretty drastic changes since I last updated the look of my blog. Who knew that the day I decide to mess around with new templates and backgrounds would be the day that Blogger also introduced a totally new look to the user interface? So, I am finally updating the look of my blog and the editor I am using looks TOTALLY DIFFERENT than I am used to!!! It's a bit like riding a new bike, with a new pair of legs. Not as easy as I had imagined!!

 Anyway, I have been a big proponent of "white space" for years. Every client I work with on websites, or marketing materials, has heard my "white space" speech. It was even my personal theme for the entire year of 2010. Websites, and other media, can get too cluttered. Just because you can put in a custom background color AND photo AND texture, doesn't mean you should. There may be a hundred cool gadgets available, but that doesn't mean your page NEEDS them all. It's the whole "less is more" kind of idea. If you clutter up a page the reader doesn't know what they are supposed to pay attention to. If everything is bold, then in reality, nothing is bold. You know those friends that post everything on Facebook in all caps? After a while you just turn down the "shouting" and read it in your normal voice. White space is what you need to surround your important stuff, so it stands out. It's like the matting in a frame around a photo.

My blog was pretty much devoid of white space. It still needs more, but I'm working on it. Dealing with this new user interface is slowing me down just a bit, or a lot. I can't figure out how to get more than one post to show on the home page. The settings all say that it should show up to 5, but, alas, you are only seeing one .... I've about had it for the night. The rest is work for another day. Maybe by morning, Blogger will have fixed the glitch.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts?