Sunday, April 4, 2010

Unique Experiences

Yesterday was a singular day.  It did not fit the normal Saturday mold.  The entire day was odd, but two experiences stand out.  

For the last week I have had what felt like a splinter in my right foot.  I wore super thin sandals when we went to the North Shore last week and I thought I hurt it while walking on the sharp rocks at Laie Point.  Instead of getting better, it was getting more sore.   I could feel something very fine and short when I passed my finger over the red spot on the bottom of my foot, but I couldn't see it.  Yesterday I had Carl take a look at with his super magnifying glasses (Thanks Dad for giving him those.  They are awesome for splinter extraction!). Sure enough, with those glasses he had it out in seconds.  It was a hair.  A Charlie hair.  Unmistakeably, Charlie's blond hair with a brown tip.

I have no idea how that hair became embedded deep in the tissue of my foot.  Maybe it was somehow a reminder of what happened with Charlie and how hard and painful it has been for me to let those emotions go.  It was deep, and it hurt.  Without help, the pain would have continued to increase.  That's how life can be sometimes.  What looks to be something small and harmless, can cause us deep pain that we can not solve on our own.  Sometimes we need help, and even when those problems seem small, it is important to get the help we need.



It has been raining off and on here for the last week or so.  It is the uniquely tropical sort of rain consisting of a fine, warm, mist falling while the sun shines.  It's wonderful.  Yesterday afternoon I ran out and from of the corner of my eye I saw a rainbow.  As I turned my head, to take a good look, it took my breath away.  It was the largest, brightest, unbroken rainbow I have ever seen that close.  I wanted to take a photo, but it was so large that no camera I own could capture it.  It stretched from Pearl City all the way across Pearl Harbor.  At least that's how it appeared from my perspective.  It was glorious and beautiful.  Without rain in our lives, those breathtaking moments are not possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts?